"Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back … Maybe, you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be."
~ Carrie Bradshaw.

Saturday, December 15, 2012

"Change Of A Suit."

I couldn't help but wonder ... Maybe we're simply programmed to carry on the human race, lulled into the "I really want a baby" by what's expected of us and the threat of the ticking clock. In the matters of marriage, I'm simply unsure ... I think the essence of marriage has changed so much. I think that these days people get married because they believe to love one another, but know that with a prenuptial agreement implemented, it's a financial safeguard if they were to split up in the long run (I'm not putting all of my eggs in one basket, unless I'm sure I'll be alright if the basket were to break.) Anywho, explore and spill your mind - Have we socially constructed these concepts as "normal"?

Is it truly that cut and dry that everybody wants to ultimately end up as happily married parents? Is being a PTA mommy or daddy the unanimous desire? Or, is it simply what is to be expected of us, which therefore leads us to ultimately become one? If everyone's expected to ultimately lead the same home life, then there's really no individuality. There's nothing wrong in leading a life such as this, but looking underneath the surface, is it really what works for everyone and is it the life everyone truly wants?

Perhaps, settling down and having children isn't everyone's cup of tea ... That particular lifestyle may not be as fulfilling for one as it is for another, leaving it to not be the best thing for them. If you never get married, you'll never have to face a bitter and terrible divorce - That's a completely understandable way of thinking in my opinion. A lifelong relationship without marriage may seem completely appropriate and fabulous for and to them. Although it's mutually considered true, you do not necessarily have to tie the knot to live happily - It's solely a matter of choice and personal belief/preference. However, the belief and idea of settling down and having babies as "normal" has been passed down from generation to generation, inevitably making it just another concept of life we see ourselves following in the end.
...Which leads me to wonder - Do we in actuality really want these things (children and marriage), or are we simply programmed?

4 comments:

  1. Wow...It really gets you thinking. This's a very unique posting, I wasn't ever expecting anything quite like this. Needless to say, it's great.
    -Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel/felt the same...But with Halsey & S.A.T.S.M, anything & everything is possible!

      Delete
    2. Definitely! ~ I absolutely love this blog (Hence I'm always here commenting.)
      -Dean.

      Delete
    3. Andrew, Dean & Anonymous, I'd like to thank you for all of the support!

      Delete