"Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back … Maybe, you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be."
~ Carrie Bradshaw.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

"The Modern Melee."

I couldn't help but get to thinking about technological advances and their affect on relationships. Individuals are spending a lessened amount of time with their partners because of newfangled leisures in communication nowadays. Partners are conversing via messengers and video chats because they can in such a modernized world like this. Although technology is undeniably useful, and maybe it lessens confrontations in relationships these days because you're not face to face in the experience, but it's a tricky figure. Because without sharing your worlds, even the hottest of relationships can stop cold.

It's now the normality to start a relationship or even to end one via technology. Proclaim me as old fashioned, but I simply don't deem that as acceptable. I believe that a commitment should be honored, and by using this technology to predominately control your relationships is nothing short of a mockery of love. I believe that like the good 'ol days, relationships should be handled appropriately with honor and a sense of security, keeping that unmistakable spark intact. Remember the spark?

I don't understand how anyone could figure a text message being an authentically romantic way to initiate a new relationship. I'm lost in trying to locate the meaningfulness within that in that type of approach. That's just modernized cliche if you were to ask me my opinion regarding the matter. I suggest a memorable approach, something that lays meaningful groundwork for the relationship, both individuals could never forget. I refuse to settle for anything less than a beginning that would truly mean something.

Here's another thing that truly bothers me within modernized concepts of relationships : Individuals who break up with someone over a phone call or even a text message. I consider that highly disrespectful to your partner. It's alright if you would like to call it off with someone, but I think you should do it in a manner which will honor the commitment you once had with them. Attempting to avoid that uncomfortable break-up conversation because you don't want to be the proverbial bad guy is actually what makes you the said proverbial bad guy. Would you want someone you've had a passionate love with to completely disregard you in such a crude fashion though?

How are you going to manage all your future relationships? Will you attempt to keep the romance alive in person? Or will you tend to those relationships behind a screen? I think you and I both know the proper selection and it's now up to you to make it happen. I adore technology, but all things in moderation. I don't think we should tamper with great relationships by abusing the usage of devices. Everything has its' proper purpose, but I find it better to leave excessive technological usage outta relationships, they don't mesh when abused. Dignify your coupleship by maintaining it together in the flesh...
I couldn't help but wonder, has modernization influenced relationship doomsday?

No comments:

Post a Comment